Re: reading 1 hardsector size, not one block size

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 03:05:05 EST

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> I guess FS is FS like you said ... OEM is who labels the box on the
> shelf, and I guess MAN is manufacturer. I would have said "Mfr".

OEM == Dell, Gateway, Compaq, HP, etc ...
MAN == Fugitsu, IBM, Maxtor, Quantum, Seagate, Western Digital, etc ...

> I'm still not clear on the difference between the roles of the OEM and
> the Mfr here -- are they really two different parties that *both* muck
> with the drive firmware to change the visible sector count? What does
> the OEM do that the Mfr hasn't already done, and why?

As I explained, they need everything to look the same.
The OEM's have customers that get anal, if their IS (info-sys) people get
replacement product (storage in this case) that is not one-one identical
in what the end-user/customer sees.

Sheesh, is everyone here that far in the dark to believe that what you see
is what you get? The IDENTIFY data is what they want you to see, not what
is really there.

A very long time ago, I made a joke about "EDD's BEER PARTIES".
This was a funny story that was full of series information about what is
going on and what is going to happen.

I guess nobody looked at it seriously, so here it is again.