Re: reading 1 hardsector size, not one block size

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 02:05:46 EST

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> Yes all OEM's do this because they need everything to look the same.
> This is why you may get a replacement drive that is in reality a 30GB
> drive but because you had a 15GB drive originally, that is the capacity of
> the new drive. It has been "de-stroked" by half.
>
> Now lets install the Linux on this 100 sector drive and tell it that it is
> only 90 sectors in size. Linux can only access that which it knows about
> via the FS. Thus accessing the drive by the FS will restrict you access
> to all regions of the drive.

??? If "FS" means "filesystem" - it couldn't care less. If your driver can
give these blocks some numbers and is ready to serve requests - fine,
filesystem will neither know nor care about the way you are doing that.
For all it cares you might have a _really_ big roll of paper tape and sit
there punching the data with a toothpick.

> FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FS-DeStroke
> DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD OEM-DeStroke
> OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAN-DeStroke
> AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA MAN-ALL
>
> If we match head and tails (we will need to soon).
>
> D(0) and D(100) need to match.
> This is a backup sector, in case D(0) gets wacked, but a Broken Pane.
> The BIOS/OS could recover with a redirected look.
>
> Now O(101)->O(110) is were DIAG records by the OEM are keep and there is
> no way to get then with out access the OEM subset of the MAN vender unique
> access commands.
>
> Now back to D(91)->D(99) are buffer sectors or OEM public data access for
> what ever they want.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andre Hedrick
> The Linux ATA/IDE guy
>
> If you are confuse, good, this is where they want us to be, but I
> understand the issues, and will continue to help decode the lingo.

It would help if you started with decoding TLA and TLAs...