Re: Removing boot text

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 17:03:11 EST

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Paul Powell wrote:

> We are using Linux as a bootable CD for system
> configuration. We would like to keep all the
> information displayed at bootup hidden. The main
> reason for this is because our users see words such as
> "error" and "failed" and it bothers them (though there
> is nothing wrong).
>
> Anyone know how other than changing the kernel code?
>
> Thanks

The stuff that is written in the kernel by printk() can be configured
to go to an RS-232C port. This has to be compiled into the kernel.
You use append="console=ttyS0,BAUDRATE" in LILO configuration. This
keeps it off the screen.

The stuff written by init, can be eliminated by changing the link
of /dev/console to point to /dev/null instead of /dev/tty0.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.2.15 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.