Re: pcmcia cd-writer

From: Nils Faerber (nils@kernelconcepts.de)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 10:33:32 EST

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Richard Polton wrote:
> I have been advised that PCMCIA cd-writers are not supported by Linux.
> Is this true and
> if so, will they be?
That strongly depends on what type of interface is used by the PCMCIA card. By
definition a complete CD writer will not fit into a PCMCIA slot ;)
So an interface is in use.
There are several adapter cards for PCMCIA. I for example have a PCMCIA SCSI
card which would attach to a pretty standard SCSI CD writer. This again should
then work if the PCMCIA SCSI card is supported (as a side note: there are
several PCMCIA SCSI cards supported by the pcmcia-cs package). If the card
implements another interface you might be lucky.
So on the bottomline you will have to check what type of interface your PCMCIA
CD writer uses and if _this_ is supported.

> Thanks,
> Richard
CU
  nils faerber

--
kernel concepts
Engel & Faerber GbR      Tel: +49-271-771091-12