Re: Socket Interface

From: Peter Samuelson (peter@cadcamlab.org)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 10:21:00 EST

[Gérard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr>]
> There are dozens of similarly different (or differently similar - as
> your prefer) Linux based O/Ses distributions around the world and
> some have had 6.x versionning when RedHat was also 6.x (SuSe for
> example).

True enough. But empirically, I have noticed that very few non-Red-Hat
users manage to confuse "Linux x.y" with "XXX Linux x.y" (I don't think
I've ever seen a Debian user do this, for example), whereas a lot of
Red Hat users do. I think it's a combination of RH's overall brand
recognition and the type of users they attract a lot of. I'm not
saying RH is the AOL of distros, but their customers sometimes make me
think this.

Peter