Re: PATCH 2.4.0.9.7: clean up toshiba SMM driver

From: Jonathan Buzzard (jonathan@buzzard.org.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 14:11:51 EST

jgarzik@mandrakesoft.mandrakesoft.com said:
> This driver was merged from 2.2.x and needs some more cleanups. Horst
> von Brand posted a patch on lkml against this driver, too, but his
> cleanups had a bug in it, and weren't as terse with procfs as the
> following patch is...

Hum nobody has said anything to me till now. I was holding back with my
patch till I had time to test it on more that one laptop. While the
patch looks Ok, passed experience has shown it must be verified on more
than one model of Toshiba laptop before being marked as safe. Ideally a
dozen or so laptop models is best.

Remember any error in this driver could render a Toshiba laptop quite
literally unusable. With a trip to a Toshiba authorized reseller, the
parting of some cash, and with potential data loss.

> Against 2.4.0-test9-pre7, and tested on my laptop..

Which may not be enough. When I submit my own version of the driver
is it permissible to have a sprinkling of #ifdef's so it still compiles
on older kernels. I would prefer to only have to maintain one version.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan@buzzard.org.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195