Re: Linux kernel modules development in C++

From: Timur Tabi (ttabi@interactivesi.com)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 16:14:39 EST

** Reply to message from Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> on Wed, 27 Sep
2000 22:00:54 +0100 (BST)

> > I have written the Windows platform version in C++ using Numega's tools
> > encapsulating the driver code in classes.
> > More of this classes isn't OS specific and it work well in any OS.
>
> And do you rely on any exception throwing ?
>
> If you use no exceptions (including thus using new and other constructors that
> allocate) you should be ok.

I don't think any OS supports exception handling in a driver. It wouldn't make
much sense, since there's no way for a driver to really "exit" (which is the
ultimate destination of the exception).

By the way, new and delete are NOT exceptions. They are simply wrappers for
malloc() and free(). Just define your own malloc and free (they can be
wrappers for a kernel memory allocation API, or you can write your own heap
manager), and new and delete work just fine.

--
Timur Tabi - ttabi@interactivesi.com
Interactive Silicon - http://www.interactivesi.com