APM Problems

From: Tom Sightler (ttsig@tuxyturvy.com)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 15:59:26 EST

Hi All,

I'm having a problem related to APM on my Dell Inspiron 5000e (just arrived a few
days ago). I installed Redhat 7.0 and upon reboot was immediately greeted by
scrolling oops screens. The system did boot on up and upon further examintation
I found the errors were caused by the attempt to start apmd. Acutally, any
access to /proc/apm would generate a non-fatal oops (general protection fault).

I compiled a standard 2.2.17 and 2.4.0-test9-pre7 but both experience exactly the
same symptom, any access to /proc/apm and you get an oops.

A check of the linux laptop list indicated that other owners of the Inspiron
5000e have this same problem so I thought it might be worthy to report here.

I did try ACPI support in 2.4.0-test9-pre7 and was able to get it to work, at
least in regards to sleep and resume, but I loose functions like battery alerts
(it doesn't appear the current linux acpi supports battery status, but I could be
brain dead here).

Anyway, all this worked fine on my older 5000, and on my APM desktop at home, so
it does seem to be somewhat unique to this model Dell. Any thoughts on how to
debug this. I'll gladly gather oops info and post it here, or help in any other
way.

Any other thoughts?

Later,
Tom