Re: Given an image, how can show its config?

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 05:31:34 EST

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:43:38 +0200,
"Butter, Frank" <Frank.Butter@otto.de> wrote:
>> How about putting these files in the modules directory? That
>> way, we have a nice consistent location for them.
>
>Your assumption is that you have only one config per machine with a certain
>kernel-release

Change config
make SUBLEVEL=0-config1 bzImage modules modules_install
Change config
make SUBLEVEL=0-config2 bzImage modules modules_install

creates /lib/modules/x.y.0-config1 and /lib/modules/x.y.0-config2. You
*must* do this to keep modules separate if you want multiple configs
for the same kernel on one machine. If you do not change one of
VERSION, PATCHLEVEL or SUBLEVEL then you have two kernels with the same
value of uname -r which really stuffs up modules.

>and that you are building the kernel for _this_ box.

Edit top level Makefile, uncomment INSTALL_PATH.

Change config.
make INSTALL_PATH=/var/tmp/machine1 INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/var/tmp/machine1 \
        bzImage modules install modules_install
Change config.
make INSTALL_PATH=/var/tmp/machine2 INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/var/tmp/machine2 \
        bzImage modules install modules_install

Copy /var/tmp/machine{1,2} to target systems. Have a cup of coffee.

The Makefile system is tuned for the common case, one config on a
single machine. But it can handle harder cases. I admit that the
current method of handling multiple configs or machines leaves a bit to
be desired. The ability to cleanly handle multiple configs, multiple
target systems and do it all from a single source tree is on our
wishlist for the 2.5 Makefile rewrite.