Re: [RFC] Additional pad in struct stat(64)

From: Christoph Hellwig (hch@ns.lst.de)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 14:37:30 EST

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 12:15:49PM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Christoph Hellwig <hch@ns.lst.de> writes:
>
> > Hehe, that's why I'd like to introduce some additional pad with my
> > patch ;)
>
> There is no reason to introduce now unnecessarily incompatibilities.
> If you want to look forward and add more padding do this when there is
> another change necessary. Introducing breakage just to possibily
> avoid them in future is stupid.

Have you read the whole thread?
I'd like to have st_flags added to struct stat64, so adding the actual
feature in Linux 2.5 (if it has a chance to get in - that's why I'm
interested in a comment by Linus on this) will not need a new version
of struct stat (and a new libc to use it), after just having introduced
a new one in Linux 2.4.
Adding some pad to have room for a few features (that will come ...)
makes sense IMHO.
I think planning a little bit in the future is not stupid.

        Christoph

--
Always remember that you are unique.  Just like everyone else.