[RFC] Additional pad in struct stat(64)

From: Christoph Hellwig (hch@ns.lst.de)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 08:02:06 EST

Hi Linus,

In the last weeks I've done some work on implement real working
4.4BSD file flags for Linux. This stuff does almost work.
(No, I don't want to submit it for 2.4 - don't hit the D key :))
Besides some syscalls (chflags, fchflags, lchflags) this needs
an additional field in struct stat.
On 32bit architectures this shouldn't be a real problem -
we have a new struct stat64 and adding a field before Linux 2.4
and glibc 2.2 are out shouldn't be a real problem.

A much greater problem are the 64bit architectures:
 - alpha has a really small one, even without the dev_t and time_t
   pads and should probably moved to a layout like struct stat64 in
   2.5
 - mips64 has a struct stat like mips' struct stat - because no one
   seems to use 64bit binaries on it it shouldn't be a real problem
   (Cc'd Ralf because of this).
 - same for sparc64 - but some 64bit bins seem to exist - not shure
   about this one (Dave?)
 - IA64 is very new and has some place on top of struct stat -
   but I'm not familar with it so I'm not shure what to do.

And when (if) we are adding pad, additional 96bits shouldn't hurt,
so we don't need a new struct stat version for every little change.

Comment?

        Christoph

--
Always remember that you are unique.  Just like everyone else.