Calling userspace apps from within kernel

From: Daniel Walls (danielw@csee.uq.edu.au)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 00:18:54 EST

Hi,

        I was wondering if it is possible to execute a userspace application from
within the kernel (particularly binfmt_elf.c)...
something along the lines of execl()...

If so, what is the name of the function used to do this?

*an aside: It would be very useful for newbies like myself to have a list
of functions that can be used in the kernel.... Does this exist at all?

Thanks very much for your time....Could you please reply to my address as I
am not subscribed to the list.

dan