Packet loss with Znyx 4port 10/100

From: Johathan Earle (jearle@nortelnetworks.com)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 16:23:18 EST

Hi,

I'm running kernel 2.4.0-test9-pre4 on a Dell GX1 (PIII-500) with a Znyx
4port 10/100 card (4 tulip 21143 ethernet controllers onboard). With the
ports locked at 10mbps full duplex, and traffic (64byte UDP packets) from
our generator running through the box, I am seeing a little under 2% packet
loss in shortterm stats gathering (< 10minutes). Decreasing the rate to
about 5mbps seems to reduce the loss to 0. Running traffic for extended
periods of time (1hr or more - I left it running over the weekend) will show
a total loss of about 3-3.5%.

I've tried the stock tulip driver, as well as employing the modified tulip
driver to take advantage of hardware flow control. No change between the
two.

I originally thought the problem was due to the card assigning 1 or 2 IRQs
to all of the ports, thus raising the possibility of IRQ sharing problems.
I then moved the card to the 1st slot, and it was then able to obtain a
unique IRQ for each port. After I disabled the system's built-in ethernet
(which also claimed an IRQ used by the Znyx card) and restarted the traffic
flow, I noticed that the loss decreased about 0.2%.

I've also tried replacing the card with no change.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
Jon