Re: the new VM

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 11:09:47 EST

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 04:27:24PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > i think an application should not fail due to other applications
> > allocating too much RAM. OOM behavior should be a central thing and based
>
> At least Linus's point is that doing perfect accounting (at
> least on the userspace allocation side) may cause you to waste
> resources, failing even if you could still run and I tend to
> agree with him. We're lazy on that side and that's global win in
> most cases.

OK, so do you guys want my OOM-killer selection code
in 2.4? ;)

(that will fix the OOM case in the rare situations
where it occurs and do the expected thing most of the
time)

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/