Re: PATCH 2.2.18.9: Backport /proc/pci from 2.4.x to 2.2.x

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 07:15:39 EST

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > I see you suggestion in the same way... If we keep the PCI device name
> > data around after boot, then we have a lot of kernel memory locked up
> > on the off chance that a HotPlug PCI device might appear for which we
> > need a name.
> > I would much prefer a userspace solution for naming unnamed PCI devices
> > after boot...

> How about the kernel calling lspci?

Kernel calling a proggie is no problem... CONFIG_KMOD does it, and Linus
has suggest that hotplugging a device needs to fire off a script, like

        /sbin/hotplug-net eth0 # new eth0 just inserted

If hotplugging executes an action, then updating the PCI device name
should become part of that. That implies that the kernel won't do any
of the executing... /sbin/hotplug-net will initiate the device name
update, so the kernel needs a way to update the device name at the
request of userspace. It could be something as simple as
        echo name > /proc/bus/pci/00/0a.0/name
or something more complex...

        Jeff