Re: kernel compiled with frame pointer

From: Sushil (sushil@veritas.com)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2000 - 14:58:04 EST

Hi Keith,
    Thanks for the useful information.

> >What about CONFIG_KDB_FRAMEPTR? Is it correct to use this in a standard
> >kernel to find whether the kernel is being compiled with frame pointer?
>
> I don't know which kernel you are looking at. CONFIG_KDB_FRAMEPTR is
> part of an old kdb patch, not part of the standard kernel. It has been
> removed from current kdb patches, kdb patches after May 9 2000 use
> CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER.

I saw CONFIG_KDB_FRAMEPTR being used in the LKCD patch for 2.4.0-test7
(arch/i386/kernel/vmdump.c). If I am correct then it is used there to find
out if the kernel is being compiled with frame pointer (inorder to get the
correct offset of the return address). I think CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER should
be used instead.

Regards,
Sushil.