Re: Proposal: Linux Kernel Patch Management System

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 12:47:35 EST

Russell King writes:
> Richard Gooch writes:
> > in a patch, then an email is sent to <email> stating that a patch with
> > ID <id> has been applied. This would allow for automatic notification
> > of the patch author when their patch has been applied. All that is
> > needed is for Linus to update his patch binary.
>
> Why would the patch binary have to be touched? Do it the Unix
> way(tm) and have a wrapper around patch which detects the relevent
> line in the patch. (Note that patch will ignore any non-patch lines
> automagically).

Well, the patch programme doesn't have to specifically support the
Notify: lines. But it would be good to be able to pass unrecognised
lines to a separate file (or programme). It would allow other hacks
like this in a robust way.

But sure, we could just go for a simple script. Linus: would you use
it? All you need do is:
% cd `where patch`
% mv patch patch.exe
% mv ~/patch.wrapper patch

and you'll never need to worry about it again.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca