RE: [ANNOUNCE] Darkstar Development Project

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 13:00:24 EST

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, David A. Gatwood wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, mberglund wrote:
>
> > Because Linux already runs on a couple of platforms even NetBSD does not
> > run on,
>
> And vice-versa, last I checked. Let's be fair here. :-)

Indeed. Until Linux has support for the Sega Dreamcast
NetBSD is still the system of choice for ultra-cheap
CPU power ;)

> Indeed, the linux port I work most with is very nearly a linux
> kernel running on top of a BSD one (Mach, to be precise, but it
> shows its BSD heritage well). I've borrowed code from the *BSDs
> frequently, and I've always let both them and the monolithic
> Linux guys borrow my code whenever it was helpful, because I
> believe in the free flow of ideas among open-sourcers.
>
> Our biggest strength would be in embracing all that is different
> and unique yet open, and sharing resources and ideas. Don't
> fear the daemon. Use it. Learn from it.

Indeed. It would be so good for everybody if the Linux
developers and the developers from the 4 BSDs would talk
to each other more and develop good ideas together, in a
friendly competition with each other ...

[With the design of the new VM, we had a lot of help from
Matt Dillon - who made the FreeBSD VM - and we're of course
giving back any ideas we come across so FreeBSD VM can be
improved too. It is my personal hope that both Linux and
FreeBSD VM will raise the bar for virtual memory management
a little bit over the next year or so.]

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/