Re: pc_keyb.c

From: Kurt Garloff (garloff@suse.de)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 08:03:13 EST

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 11:08:47AM -0700, Chris Collins wrote:
> Hello Arnaldo and others,
> Is the Compaq Presario 16xx, Travelmate jumpy
> touchpad problem completly understood? Is it
> merely that fixing this problem would
> break other equipment?
>
> How can this problem get *solved*???
>
> Kernel? Driver?

It's a kernel problem. The 2.2.16 pc_keyb does know about a reconnect
scancode and handles it accordingly. However, on Synaptics touchpad, those
bits are used for a dfifferent kind of information, so the kernel breaks the
support. Unfortunately, a real fix is not easy, as the only way would be to
teach the kernel more about the protocol of PS/2 devices such as the
Synaptics.

A small patch to comment out the RECONNECT support can be found on my Linux
on Laptops page
http://www.suse.de/~garloff/travelmate/

Regards,

--
Kurt Garloff  <garloff@suse.de>                          Eindhoven, NL
GPG key: See mail header, key servers         Linux kernel development