Linux 2.2.17 broken with initrd

From: Joseph Carter (knghtbrd@progenylinux.com)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 15:35:35 EST

I've been fighting with this for a couple of days now. I've been trying
under lilo, syslinux, and grub to get the kernel to follow the documented
behavior of executing /linuxrc if you tell it to load an initrd as it did
back in 2.0.35 (which was the last time I actually tried to use an initrd
for anything..)

The 2.4.0test kernels work fine. For the record:

-­8<-- /usr/src/linux-2.2.17
      :
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
      :
--8<--

Any ideas why this isn't working? More importantly, if this is known not
to work right, how are distributions coping with the inability to use
/linuxrc? Documentation other than that in the kernel tree which was
written in 1996 seems to be scarce.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@progenylinux.com>         GnuPG key 1024D/DCF9DAB3
Software developer, Progeny Linux Systems         20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC