Re: (reiserfs) Re: More on 2.2.18pre2aa2

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 08:38:22 EST

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

>> Yes, but "how hard is it reasonable for the kernel to try" is based on
>> both items. A good first order approximation is number of requests.
>
>I must strongly disagree with that claim. A request could be 512 bytes or
>128K.

Current elevator account the number of bh that enters the bh layer (we're
not making difference between 1k and 4k softblocksizes though).

I was misleading (sorry) when I used the term "request", I didn't meant a
`struct request" but a new I/O request (1k/4k sized) pushed into the
blkdev layer.

Andrea