Adding members to task_struct without recompling the kernel

From: Michael Vines (mjvines@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 17:17:48 EST

Hi,

I'm writing a kernel module that needs to keep track of a pointer to some
custom module information for every task in the system. Basically I want
to add another member to task_struct but I don't want to have to
recompile the kernel to do it.

Unlike "struct file", there doesn't seem to be any private_data pointer in
task_struct that I could use. I've come up with a couple nasty kludges to
accomplish this but I'm hoping for a more sain solution.

The other option would be to maintain the information in an ADT that
parallels task_struct, but I really want to be able to access the
information in constant time if at all possible.

        Thanks,
         Michael