Re: Booting into /bin/bash

From: David Mansfield (lkml@dm.ultramaster.com)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 09:51:28 EST

Ion Badulescu wrote:

> Maybe I'll play with main.c and see what happens if I force /dev/console
> to become the controlling tty for init. Hmm... That could be dangerous for
> init. Maybe a better idea would be to hack init so that it gives any
> program started from inittab /dev/console as the controlling tty.

I like this idea a lot (the latter - making /dev/console controlling
tty). On an old SunOS 4 machine I once worked with, a Ctrl-C during the
execution of rc.sysinit would sent it terminate signals. So when the
NFS was hanging on mount because of a f***ed up network (or changed ip
address of server) you could hit ctrl-c during the rc script and the
mount would be sent the ctrl-c and would terminate, then the rest of the
rc script would continue (regular shell script behavior if I'm not
mistaken).

David Mansfield