I/O statistics per process?

From: Samuli Kaski (samkaski@cs.Helsinki.FI)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 03:18:42 EST

I know about sar which can deliver what I want for disks and/or
partitions. What about if I want to know how much I/O is caused by
userspace programs?

Looking at the proc-interface in 2.2.xx the necessary bits aren't
available. The BSD process accounting doesn't provide them either, the
I/O fields are always 0 the way I read it. Looking at the task_struct, I
can't see anything related there.

Is I/O caused by userspace processes accounted somewhere? And if it
isn't is this intentional or are folks just waiting for someone to
submit a patch? Thanks.

        Samuli