Re: Availability of kdb

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 16:14:54 EST

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> > In NetWare, we didn't care if the page was touched or not since we
> > used our own bits in field bits 11-9 to store page specific stuff,
> > like whether the page was dirty or not.
>
> Linux does actually look at both bits, but the optimisation
> still applies. Accessed in particular -- ptes are mapped on
> page faults so you know the page is about to be accessed.

The main difference between Linux and Netware here is the
fact that Linux has a real userland, which can touch the
pages on its own without going through the kernel.

This causes "spontaneously" dirtied or accessed pages,
meaning that we really want to use the hardware bits ...

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/