Re: 8% of the Internet unreachable!

From: Evan Jeffrey (hobbes@utrek.dhs.org)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 22:48:13 EST

> Dax Kelson wrote:
> > Survey shows 8.3% of websites unreachable from an ECN capable client.
> > Notable unreachable sites:
> >
> > www.amazon.com, www.ibm.com, www.sun.com, www.apple.com,
>

> I'm running 2.4.0-test8 and I was able to reach all four of the above sites
> using kppp 2.0pre18. My starter distribution is Linux-Mandrake 7.2 beta 1.

If you really have ECN on, check your ISP... Some like to "help" you by providing
a mandatory transparent HTTP proxy/cache. USWest does this for at least some of their
DSL customers.

Thankfully, the *do* put a header in, so you can use "telnet www.amazon.com 80" to
check for it--I don't remember the exact header (they are no longer my ISP :), but
I recall it was fairly obvious.

Anyone else trying to compile statistics on ECN compatability should test out their ISP
for this kind of nastyness. I know I have run into it a lot, starting right about when I
switched ISPs...

Evan

---
Fear is the mind killer.   -- Frank Herbert, "Dune"