Re: test8-pre6 file corruption and oops

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 17:26:17 EST

On Fri, 08 Sep 2000 23:09:14 +0200,
Kenneth Johansson <ken@canit.se> wrote:
>I have now put "-k /boot/System.map-$(uname -r)" as argument to klogd
>so it can't possibly choose the wrong file but is there some
>reason to turn off the lookup in klogd and use ksymoops ??

klogd only handles some architectures. klogd only knows about some
messages for the architectures it does handle. klogd does not verify
that it was passed the correct System.map. klogd does not always know
about loaded modules. Even when klogd knows about loaded modules, it
does not use the __insmod symbols to correctly map the modules. I
could go on but you get the idea.