Re: linux kernel TCP, network connections and iptables

From: George Athanassopoulos (athanas@real.macedonia.gr)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 18:18:22 EST

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Andi Kleen wrote:

:I forgot to add: Alexey is of course right in that it doesn't help you
:at all. You cannot defend against packet floods, and with an active TCP
:you can be always tricked into bouncing packets without load limit
:(e.g. just by sending out of order packets for an established connection
:or in a zillion other ways)
:
:
:-Andi
:

  "At all" is not what I would say. Of course noone is trying to defend
  just at the kernel level. But I believe every step to make the linux
  kernel less trickable to such exploitation of TCP implementation
  "weaknesses", and also trying to make linux kernel behave less like
  a TCP flood amplifier, is welcomed (without serious or harmful
  "violation" of the protocol).
  Untill some other way comes up, I will try out Alan's patch. I believe
  it will help a lot, in conjuction with ipfw and some kind of dynamic
  manipulation of it.

  Thanks Alan Cox and everyone else.

--
George Athanassopoulos