Re: PCMCIA: 3CCFE575CT initialization probem under 2.4.0-test7

From: David Hinds (dhinds@valinux.com)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 18:08:25 EST

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 04:47:42PM -0600, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Can someone post why this has broken and why a fix is (I presume)
> difficult? I'll have to look at this myself if no-one else fixes it by
> the time the other issues are fixed :-(

In the old CardBus API, when a new CardBus card was attached to a
driver, the driver returned a linked list of structs describing the
new devices associated with that card. The structs included device
names, and major/minor #'s. These structs were then passed out to
cardmgr.

In 2.4, this API has mostly gone away; new PCI drivers use the Hot
Plug PCI calls so they can support regular PCI cards as well as
CardBus cards. These drivers don't interact directly with the PCMCIA
stack at all, and the API doesn't have a way of associating device
names with cards.

To replicate this functionality, I guess the API could be extended so
that the "probe" entry point returned device information; then the PCI
layer could return this through pci_insert_device and from there the
PCMCIA stack could get to it. I have been wary of implementing this
because it is not really just a PCMCIA problem; all hot plug devices
face the same issue, and I didn't want to slap a quick fix onto the
PCI interface that would only be useful for CardBus.

-- Dave