Re: Kernel Debugging Documentation

From: Matt D. Robinson (yakker@alacritech.com)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 16:45:20 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> Back in May I wrote a quite estensive documentation about all the
> possible/best ways to debug the Linux Kernel for a talk/tranining that I
> did in San Jose in May. I find now the time to clean it up and to upload
> since I think it could result useful to everybody dealing with kernel
> developement.

Good slides, Andrea.

As far as LKCD is concerned, the latest versions for 2.2 dump to IDE
as well as SCSI. You are correct as far as a dumb disk driver is
concerned. Linus said that if he's to even _consider_ acceptance for
LKCD in the kernel, we'd have to write our own dumb disk driver (which
I'm in the process of doing). As soon as that's done, I'll post the
changes to lkml.

It would also be nice if Linus included the rest of sct's kiobuf changes
into 2.4.X -- I mean, if they are spending all this time getting the rest of
2.4 to work, there's no reason not to include all the map_kernel_kiobuf()
functionality. Some of us could use it (for LKCD ...) Same goes for
Alan including the 2.2 changes.

Just my 0.02.

--Matt