Re: Scalability Efforts

From: Peter Rival (frival@zk3.dec.com)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 13:46:12 EST

Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Henry Worth wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > Or is it all, whatever there may be of it, taking
> > place offline?
>
> Most of the times I've talked about this topic it
> was in person with other developers at various
> conferences.

Ugh, no wonder I never see this. Guess it's time to get some trips paid for
so I can stand near you guys and listen to what's going on ;)

> For the VM subsystem and the scheduler we have some
> ideas to improve scalability for NUMA machines. It's
> not been implemented yet, but for most of it the
> design seems to be pretty ok and ready to be implemented
> for 2.5.

Is any of this documented in any way? I'm the one that booted Linux on a 31
(one CPU was bad at the time) CPU 256GB GS Series Alphaserver, and NUMA has
always been a favorite play-thing of mine. :)

> OTOH, some of the develish details still aren't resolved.
> If there are people interested in discussing this topic,
> I'll setup a mailing list for it ...

Sure, unless people really want it to stay here. Heck, I'd even sign up
twice just to make sure I don't miss anything. ;)

 - Pete