Re: [RFC] Wine speedup through kernel module

From: David Howells (David.Howells@nexor.co.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 08:44:26 EST

Andi Kleen <ak@suse.de> wrote:
> I did not see the lock. Where is it ?

Well, on the bit functions set_bit() and test_and_clear_bit(), the macro
inserts an appopriate locking instruction into the assembly.

On the wait queue, the wait_queue structure includes

> I don't know too much about Win32, but I assume you could always share it
> lazily on demand (assuming the most mutexes are only used by threads, not
> between processes)

How does a second process know when a first process has created one, unless
its name is published. And if you do it that way, they then have to negotiate
in some way to elevate it to a kernel object.

> But the number of objects is not restricted, no ?

Currently each the handle map for each process is restricted to a single page
less a header. This places a rough limit on the number of objects to number of
processes (not threads) * ~1020. Additionally, some objects (like mutexes) can
beshared and so several handle map entries point to a single object.

However, a hard limit can easily be imposed, and may best be.

David