Re: Question: slow network performance between Linux and Solaris 7

From: Pasi Kärkkäinen (pk@edu.joroinen.fi)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 01:47:37 EST

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Jack Duan wrote:

> I have been using Linux since the early days... and recently that I have
> installed RH6.2 with Linux kernel 2.2.16 on my Dell laptop (P3-500,
> 256MB RAM). One thing that I found is the networking performance
> between this Linux box and all my Solaris 7 based servers are very very
> slow. I only get around 7-10k/s transfer rate over 100-BT link. I have
> desperately searched all the websites that I can think of to find any
> answers, but none helpful. Here is a detailed problem description:

I've seen the same when the switch and nic (tulip) do not seem to sense
the same mode.. I have to force the tulip-driver to use 100Mbpx fullduplex
and force it to the switch also. This way everything is happy.

When the nic and switch have different transfer modes, connections to the
10Mbps boxes work well (at the full 10Mbps), but connections to the
100Mbps boxes are VERY slow. Something like 3-10k/s just like you said.

On the other hand, if you get good transfer rates between linux-boxes this
migth not be your problem..

- Pasi Kärkkäinen

                                   ^
                                . .