Re: Availability of kdb

From: Gregory Maxwell (greg@linuxpower.cx)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 19:58:00 EST

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Ehh? And exactly _how_ would a debugger help it.
> >
> > Especially as Alan quoted an example of a driver bug that didn't get fixed
> > for several months because the maintainer didn't have the hardware.
> >
> > What would a debugger have done?
>
> Let the end user give me essential answers on what was happening at the failure
> point. Think of it as a crash dump tool with extra controls
[snip]

If this is your primary argument for a kernel debugger, a 'crash dump tool
with extra controls', then why not just cleanly implement a 'crash dump
tool with extra controls'.

I would suspect that such a tool could be accomplished much much safely
(both code maintenance wise, as well as runtime and source bloat) then a full
kernel debugger. Interactive postmortem shouldn't require any support code
or tooling floating about in unrelated parts of the kernel.