Re: modules directory

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 17:06:58 EST

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000 18:07:13 -0400 (EDT),
"Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com> wrote:
>Ahaa! Aye... Does this imply that there will, in the future, be
>other than '/kernel/drivers' as modules? Or is this (I fear) another
>change that; "Doesn't have to be better, only different..."

/lib/modules/`uname -r`/
        modules.dep
        modules.pcimap
        System.map
        .config
        Any other text files that are kernel specific

        build symlink

        kernel/ modules that came from the kernel source tree
        pcmcia/ modules from external pcmcia package
        xyz/ modules from third party xyz package, e.g. vmware

The old method of mixing multiple sources into fs/, drivers/ net/ etc.
made it impossible to clean out old kernel modules automatically during
make modules_install. A common class of problem was caused by old
modules when somebody changed an option from a module to in kernel but
did not clean out the old modules first. Not any more.

The old modules_install method relied on human definition of the
mapping from source tree to fs/, net/, misc/ etc. Kernel developers
got this wrong all the time, which is why half the modules incorrectly
ended up in misc/. Even worse, you could have multiple copies of
modules, on in say fs/, the other in misc/ and you never knew which one
was being used. Not any more.