Re: Availability of kdb

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 16:41:58 EST

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> > Think of rabbits. And think of how the wolf helps them in the end. Not
> > by being nice, no. But the rabbits breed, and they are better for having
> > to worry a bit.
>
> You know those huge, sharp teeth on the wolf? Want to make them longer
> and sharper? Put in a kernel debugger, Linus, and the wolf will be even
> more ferocious. I appreciate the honest, open response, BTW.

No, no.

The debugger is akin to giving the _rabbits_ a bazooka. The poor wolf
doesn't get any sharper teeth.

Yeah, it sure helps against wolves. They explode in pretty patterns of
read drops flying _everywhere_. Cool.

But it doesn't help against a rabbit gene pool that is slowly
deteriorating because there is nothing to keep them from breeding, and no
darwin to make sure that it's the fastest and strongest that breeds.

You mentioned how NT has the nicest debugger out there.

Contemplate it.

                Linus