2.4.0-test7: PCMCIA misc rem

From: Marc-Eric Uldry (muldry@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 11:34:02 EST

A reboot with 2.4.0-test7 (on i386 at least) doesn't properly "release"
the card and hang the computer after displaying Linux PCMCIA options, just
before YENTA IRQ is displayed no matter which kernel is then used to boot
or segfault windows 98SE. Only way is to turn down computer. With the
same machine (Dell Inspiron 7000) and card (D-Link DMF-560TXD) and a
2.3.99-pre9 (ie before the Linus reboot "improvement") everything was
working fine.

Going to sleep mode (APM, APIC not tested) and turning back on doesn't
restore IP address with 2.4.0-test7 while it does using 2.3.99-pre9

Doing the following sequence with my D-Link DMF-560TXD (combo
56k/10/100Mb) block any sort of transmission through the modem (other
sequence might lead to the same?!):
- connect Internet with the modem
- connect to an ethernet switch (link beat)
- disconnect from the switch (unlink)
reconnecting to the switch (new link beat) is then the only way of
continuing sending/receiving through the modem
(!This has not been tested yet with other kernel than the 2.4.0-test7)

(For David) By upgrading my pcmcia-cs package, I noticed that cardmgr.c
includes <pcmcia/version.h> which by the cc option -I refers to the
pcmcia/version.h from the kernel instead(?) of the one from the pcmcia-cs
package

/\/\arceric