Re: [ANNOUNCE] Withdrawl of Open Source NDS Project/NTFS/M2FS for Linux

From: Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 21:04:55 EST

   Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 01:43:47 +0100 (BST)
   From: Alex Buell <alex.buell@tahallah.clara.co.uk>

> Only, with the former, I get to restart the application everytime it
> croaks, with the latter (modules excluded) I have to reboot. This is
> much more time consuming and means you really have to be much smarter
> about what checks and printk statements you put in where... the hope
> is with more intelligent debugging aids I can glean more information
> for each reboot.

   If you have two machines, it does get a little easier.

Especially if your crash and burn machine TFTP boots from your
development machine.

I have a blazingly fast development machine, and then a slower (but fast
booting --- no SCSI with the d*mned long SCSI bus scan times) machine
which boots a tftp-booter off the floppy and then loads the kernel from
there.

That plus a serial line between the two machines for the serial console,
and you have a fairly nice kernel development environment. The only
thing I'm missing at this point is an X-10 module so I can remotely
power cycle the crash/burn machine in case it hangs, so I don't have to
get up and walk over to it. :-)

                                                        - Ted

P.S. And I *do* use kdb as well.....