Re: [ANNOUNCE] Withdrawl of Open Source NDS Project/NTFS/M2FS for Linux

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 20:31:53 EST

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, poke wrote:

>> Only, with the former, I get to restart the application everytime it
>> croaks, with the latter (modules excluded) I have to reboot. This is
>> much more time consuming and means you really have to be much smarter
>> about what checks and printk statements you put in where... the hope
>> is with more intelligent debugging aids I can glean more information
>> for each reboot.
>
>I do recall reading something a while back about using VMWare to simulate
>an operating environment so that you don't have to actually reboot your
>workstation. I haven't tried this and don't know all of the details, but
>it seems like a great idea.

Yes, I can say first hand that this is very useful advice.
VMware is a wonderful aid for this purpose. However, it is not
an all in one solution. VMware gets an artificial emulated look
at the hardware, so your guest OS (Linux) will NOT see that you
have a Ultra100 or a whizbang2000 SCSI card. Regardless of the
hardware, the guest OS sees a single unified hardware set on any
computer that doesn't relfect the real hardware. So it is
useless debugging say an eexpress100 driver, because VMware
presents the hardware as an AMD LANCE NIC... etc...

It is certainly useful for many other situations that are not
hardware specific though.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Want to run Microsoft Windows software in Linux? You can! VMware allows you to install and run other operating systems inside a window in X windows. You can install Windows 95/98/NT/2000, FreeBSD, Solaris, and many more. 3D Games do not work yet, but virtually all office and productivity software runs excellent. http://www.vmware.com