Re: [ANNOUNCE] Withdrawl of Open Source NDS Project/NTFS/M2FS for Linux

From: Chris Wedgwood (cw@f00f.org)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 19:31:55 EST

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 05:02:46PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:

    2) It is hoped that because it isn't the default, some new people
       will take the quantum leap to actually try debugging using the
       best debugger any of us have, our brains, instead of relying
       on automated tools.

Face it Dave -- you are just smarter than many of the rest of us. You
might not need certain debugging aids, some people _right now_ do (at
at the very least will benefit from them).

Maybe debugging aids should be excluded from the kernel for various
reasons, I'm not commenting on that, but expecting the rest of the
world to get smarter all of a sudden isn't very realistic.

Perhaps you would like to describe how you do debug the kernel? I ask
this because I use printf more often than anything else when
debugging userland code and I often use printk when debugging the
kernel.

Only, with the former, I get to restart the application everytime it
croaks, with the latter (modules excluded) I have to reboot. This is
much more time consuming and means you really have to be much smarter
about what checks and printk statements you put in where... the hope
is with more intelligent debugging aids I can glean more information
for each reboot.

  --cw