Problems with Athlon

From: Imrich Vrabel (imrich@itc.univie.ac.at)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 15:43:36 EST

Hi,

I would have liked to install RH 6.2 on the Athlon (700MHz) computer.
The installation from local CD was very easy, however, after reboot
I received some error messages. My questions are:

1. What exctly does a "Disabling CPUID Serial Number ... general protection
   fault: 000" mean?

2. What do I do about "Kernel panic - Attempted to kill the iddles task"
   and "In swapper task - not syncing"

3. How can I repair these problems?

         Thanks, Imrich

 P.s. If I boot from floppy, I get the same error messages.