RE: [ANNOUNCE] Withdrawl of Open Source NDS Project/NTFS/M2FS forLinux

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 14:19:44 EST

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Al wrote:

>>it is in the kernel. Microsoft (or anyone else for that matter) can't
>>take your code and use it without consent. The GPL is one way of giving
>>consent, with certain strings attached.
>
>But they can take the ideas and methods demonstrated by the code in the
>patch. Its not that they are going to take what he wrote and run patch
>against their code. They can take a good idea, sit a skilled programmer in a
>room and adapt the concepts without a bit of a problem.

Really though, even if they do do that, who cares? It will still
blue screen anyway. Then restart/reboot/reinstall... They
assimilate other's ideas, then reimplement them poorly and in a
limited kludgy way, then lock the bugs in for 5 years due to
compatibility issues. We don't have much to worry about here.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

If you're looking for Linux books, guides, and other documentation, visit the Linux Documentation Project homepage: http://linuxdoc.org