Re: Large File support and blocks.

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 11:08:05 EST

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 09:16:23AM -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:
>
> > With all the talk about bugs and slowness on a 386/486/586 -- does anyone
> > think those platforms will have multi-T disks hooked up to them?
>
> Yes. They are already doing it, and the number of people trying
> is growing rapidly. I had people doing half-TB arrays of ext2
> even 3 or 4 years ago on Intel hardware.

There was a nice thread on one of the freebsd lists last
week. They calculated that a 1TB fileserver would cost
somewhere between $3000 and $12000, depending on how much
performance you want (and whether you'd like hot-plugging
of drives or not).

With this kind of cost (and dropping all the time), it is
indeed a very realistic thing that people /will/ be using
multi-TB disk arrays on 32-bit machines without wanting to
upgrade to a 64-bit machine for this ...

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/