Re: Long uptime (~1 yr) => broken load averages (2.2.12)

From: Jorge Nerin (jnerin@svalero.es)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 11:24:59 EST

Neal H Walfield wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running Linux 2.2.12:
>
> neal@colo:~$ cat /proc/version
> Linux version 2.2.12 (root@gondor) (gcc version 2.95.1 19990816 (release))
> #1 Sun Sep 12 00:22:57 EST 1999
>
> Starting twelve days ago the load average has increased by one every
> twenty-four hours. Normally, it remains close to 0. At the moment, they
> are at twelve; I imagine that tomorrow, they will be at thirteen:
>
> neal@colo:~$ w
> 11:08am up 330 days, 17:36, 1 user, load average: 12.08, 12.05, 12.01
> USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
> neal ttyp0 qui182p.star.net 10:02am 0.00s 0.33s 0.12s w
>
> Other than this, the system appears to be functioning normally. I do not
> know where to start looking for the bug, however, I will be happy to
> provide any additional details that could be of help.
>
> Regards,
> -Neal

You may have stuck processes wich doesn't run but count as active for
the load avg count. Almost all processes that get stuck in D state and
can't be killed increases the load avg by one per process stuck.

So look for processes in zombie state or D state. If you can't kill them
perhaps you will need to reboot.

If it increases slowly it could be another thing, but if it increases
suddenly at a fixed time it could be a cron job.

--
Jorge Nerin
<jnerin@svalero.es>