Re: Linux 2.2 - BSD/OS 4.1 ARP incompatibility

From: David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 03:12:24 EST

Rogier Wolff wrote:

> Hmm. Doesn't the spec say something about that you should preferrably
> use the "closest" IP number that you can find to communicate with a
> host?
>
> Yes, adding a route to "a.b.c.1 gw d.e.f.1" on the BSD box should
> work.
>
> But having a multi-homed host with a.b.c.1 on one side and d.e.f.1 on
> the other, then I'd expecit it to use d.e.f.1 to communicate with
> d.e.f.2, even if both are physically on the same ethernet.

Then as we say, set up routing properly. Specify the correct source to be used
on a route rather than the implicit primary interface address.

ip r a d.e.f.0 dev int0 src d.e.f.1, and assuming the .0 represents the network,
all traffic destined to this network not having an explicit source will get
assigned the route source and appear as d.e.f.1 on the wire.

-d

--
"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was