Re: [ANNOUNCE] Withdrawl of Open Source NDS Project/NTFS/M2FS forLinux

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 15:19:38 EST

On 3 Sep 2000, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

> andre@linux-ide.org (Andre Hedrick) writes:
>

> >Apology to Jeff,
>
> >I am sorry to here of this, but I know what you mean about microsoft.
> >My and co-worker's code for doing full taskfile access under linux was
> >rejected here but is being used in MicroSoft Whistler 2001. They are
> >quick to grab the very best of Linux and adopt it for their own.
>
> If you can prove this, then you could talk to FSF about M$ GPL
> violations.

You can not go after people for patches.
Linux rejected the code because it does not understand nor does anyone
have the desire to learn what it does. Since it is not in the kernel
there is no GPL issue. Upon Microsoft's adpotion of the model they will
be years ahead of Linux. FreeBSD does something similar and I expect them
to soon to begin laughing at us for being stupid.

Basically I do not care, because Linux does not care.

The things lost and stagnating development is that I can not do new
features without the code. Some of the newest features in Linux like
auto_crc_downgrade is being adopted by Intel and a future hardware IO
access that will allow for sideways disk access will convert the software
into hardware.

The future of IO-MEM mapped for ATA to allow for PRD sliding or zero-copy.
This and a bunch of other tricks are dependent of having a clean native
taskfile.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy