Re: 2.4.0-test8-pre1 is quite bad / how about integrating Rik's VM now?

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 13:48:59 EST

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > 1) the innd data corruption bug
>
> This, I think, was due to a bug in ext2 truncate. If so, it
> should be fixed in test8-pre2.

Cool...

> > 2) system hangs with 0 free low memory and some free
> > high memory
> >
> > The lru_cache_add() BUG() seems to be defanged for now and
> > isn't very high priority to me...
>
> I'd like to know what it was. Last I heard, it was still the
> case of "pages just off the freelist had some bits set that they
> shouldn't have". That makes me nervous.

Nope, that was what you /thought/ it was.

My debugging code has shown it to be something else,
lru_cache_add() is called for pages which are already
on the LRU list...

I know this because:
1) the boobytraps in rmqueue() and page_reclaim() never
   trigger
2) the ->next->prev pointer is /consistent/ (this wouldn't
   be the case after a list_del and being hauled through
   rmqueue, etc...)

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/