Re: What the Heck? [Fwd: Returned mail: User unknown]

From: Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 19:54:44 EST

Alan Cox writes:

>> What is the deal here? I have NEVER seen anyboody flatly refuse email
>> from me. Are you telling me I have to go into work and use my
>> chris.k@redhat.com email address to talk to Alan? That's asinine.
>
> When you get as much spam aimed at you as I do because the address
> is so well known you'd understand.

It is better to filter based on content. Neither method is really
accurate, but blocking all of rr.com is a major error. Block the
weird encodings, accept anything with "linux", etc.

The rr.com service is expanding across the US. It is a cable
service recently bought by AT&T. It serves areas without ISDN
or DSL, so the only alternative is a POTS modem. The rr.com
service is much cheaper and usually faster than ISDN and DSL.

So, expect more and more people to use the rr.com service.
It may grab a very large chunk of the US ISP market.