RE: thread rant [semi-OT]

From: Marty Fouts (marty@dotcast.com)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 18:37:38 EST

just an aside on asynchronous i/o: concurrency by asychronous I/O actually
predates concurrency via thread-like models, and goes back to the earliest
OS-precursors. Early work on thread-like concurrency models were, in part,
a response to the difficulties inherent in getting asynchronous I/O right,
and so now the pendulum is swinging back.

A pedantic nit: the basic Un*x I/O model, with syncrhronous interfaces
predates Un*x networking by some time. I woudl make the case that the
people who grafted Un*x networking (most notably sockets) onto Un*x didn't
really understand the I/O model, and crafted cruft, that just happened to
have a few usable features, one being a sort-of way of sometimes getting
asynchrony.

Prior to posix, by the way, there were any number of Un*x variants that
asynchronous I/o models, supporting any number of i/o completion
notification models, buffering schemes and (lack of) cancellation semantics.
My personal favorite was the variant in the Cray-2 Unicos; my personal least
favorite was Intergraph's Clix.

Marty