Re: 2.4.0-test8-pre1 is quite bad / how about integrating Rik's VM now?

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 14:32:17 EST

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:
> >
> > Not really. I'm not aware of any bug with my VM that doesn't
> > occur in the standard VM too.
>
> So what happened with the BUG() thing that you had? I never saw
> any resolution to that, and that certainly didn't happen with
> the standard VM.

The BUG() is still there to trap cases where we have list or
bit corruption, but I haven't been able to trigger it with
my latest patches.

What I /do/ see is lru_cache_add() getting called for pages
which are already in one of the lists. For now I simply detect
this case and work around it. I still don't know what causes
the problem, but it no longer causes any stability or data
corruption problems.

In fact, I plan to spend most of my time trying to track down
the 2 VM problems on tytso's list:

1) the innd data corruption bug
2) system hangs with 0 free low memory and some free
   high memory

The lru_cache_add() BUG() seems to be defanged for now and
isn't very high priority to me...

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/